By the end of this TLP, you should be able to:
- Explain how Evaporation can be used as a deposition technique, and know what external factors have an effect.
- Know how temperature affects the necessary vapour pressure of the material for evaporation to occur.
- Describe the basic Sputtering technique, and the difficulties which it presents.
- Discuss the complications which arise when the film is to be made of an alloy or compound.
- Explain the process of laser ablation and how it can improve on other Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD) techniques.
- Know how energy contributes to the structure and properties of the final film.
- Describe the 3 basic growth modes and what conditions favour each.