- A. Putnis, Introduction to Mineral Sciences, CUP, 1992 (specifically Chapter 2, "Anisotropy and physical properties").
- R.E. Newnham, Structure-Property Relations Relations (Crystal chemistry of non-metallic materials), Springer-Verlag, 1975
- D.R. Lovett, Tensor Properties of Crystals, IOP, 1999
- P.J. Collings and M. Hird, Introduction to Liquid Crystals: Chemistry and Physics, Taylor & Francis, 1997
More advanced and detailed books:
- C. Kittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics, 7th Edition 1995
- J.F. Nye, Physical Properties of Crystals: Their Representation by Tensors and Matrices, Oxford, 2nd Edition 1985
- E. Hecht, Optics, Addison-Wesley, 4th Edition 2001
- Polymers and Liquid Crystals
An award-winnning website based at Case Western Reserve University in the USA, with a Virtual Textbook and Virtual Laboratory.
A TLP covering many features of birefringence under polarised light.
methods for Mineral Sciences research
Summary of phase transitions and formation of domains in perovskites.
This comprehensive introduction to optical birefringence is part of the excellent award-winning Molecular Expressions website based at Florida State University in the USA.
in calcite crystals
Also part of the Molecular Expressions website, this is an interactive Java tutorial.
For some light relief, take a look at: