Micrograph 602 and full record
- Micrograph no
- Brief description
- Section of a metal matrix composite (MMC)
- alignment, alumina , composite material , fibre , infiltration, MMC, preform, reinforcement
- Al, Mg 2.5 (wt%), with Al2O3 (10 vol%)
- Standard codes
- A preform of d-alumina fibres has been squeeze-infiltrated with an aluminium melt.
- Metal matrix composites (MMCs) offer high specific stiffness which can be retained to high temperatures. This makes them suitable for applications in the aerospace industry. They also offer controlled (or zero) thermal expansion coefficients, good wear resistance and good impact properties.
- Sample preparation
- The samples have been oxidised to provide colour contrast for different grain orientations.
- Reflected light microscopy, polarised
- Length bar
- 80 μm
- Further information
- The section is transverse to the fibre plane. A preform of short fibres has been infiltrated with the aluminium melt in a press.
- Prof T W Clyne
- Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, University of Cambridge
- Licence for re-use
- Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales
- Related micrographs
View image alone .. in a new window
Help is available on downloading images